Submerged Jealousy

A few days ago on the way to work, I had a more visceral reaction to literature than I have ever had before. I am currently reading 2666 by Roberto Bolaño. The reaction was caused by a scene in which the scholars Pelletier and Espinoza (a twentieth century Bouvard and Pécuchet to be sure) attack a Pakistani cab driver in London over an insult. The cabbie had called the two of them pimps and their mutual ex-girlfriend a whore. As best as I can tell, this is actually a quite realistic depiction about how much senseless violence gets started in this world. How crude and how ridiculous.

Before the attack happens at the very end of the scene, I had identified quite deeply with the jealousy that Pelletier and Espinoza felt due to the unraveling of their relationship with Liz Norton due to recent events in my own life. I identified even more with Pelletier and Espinoza's self-mockery of their own jealousy. But when the sequence took a turn for the bizarre with the cabbie's untoward suggestions that his fares were flesh merchants, I felt myself begin to follow Pelletier and Espinoza right down into an abyss self-aggrandizing violence. When Espinoza pulls the cabbie out of the car in order to slap him around, I was cheering his actions. Then as it quickly devolved into a merciless beating, I recoiled in horror in how far I was willing to go to salve my own feelings on inadequacy.

There is a reason that 2666 is the sixth novel by Bolaño that I have tackled this year. This is it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Whore of Rhodes

These Bland White Men Are Movie Stars For Some Reason

Somebody is Waiting in the Hallway