Mannered Garbage

The Makioka Sisters
1983.  140 minutes. Japan. Directed by Kon Ichikawa. Watchdate: 8/26/2011.
I have never found a movie so shrilly boring or blandly unpleasant. I left the screening a good half hour before the movie ended because I just couldn't stand it anymore. And I never walk out of movies. The first forty-five minutes was perhaps the least horrible because I found my attention drifting away from the movie but when I actually forced myself to watch the damn thing I found it unbearable. The characters were not only charmless, but completely awful and not in an interesting way at all. The "humor" was predictable, stilted and worthless. Everything in the movie was effortfully overplayed to no purpose. I hated this movie (and I think I have fairly tolerant tastes).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Whore of Rhodes

These Bland White Men Are Movie Stars For Some Reason

Somebody is Waiting in the Hallway