Noisy Puppetry

Alice
1988.  84 minutes. Czechoslovakia. Directed by Jan Švankmajer. Watchdate: 5/7/2012.
The sound effects in this movie might be the most unpleasant noises I've ever experienced. Even if I leave that aside, along with the annoying device of showing Alice's lips speaking "he said, she said" every few moments for the entire running time, I still find that I like this movie better in theory than in practice. Sure, there's some inspired bits of stop motion animation, sure, this story deserves a dark, fucked up interpretation like what Svankmajer attempted, but it's faint praise to say this is much more interesting than the mostly disastrous Tim Burton version. I did absolutely love when Alice crawled into the desk though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Whore of Rhodes

These Bland White Men Are Movie Stars For Some Reason

Somebody is Waiting in the Hallway